Tuesday 16 June 2020

Highland Dance: Lesson 2

 The beginning
 Kia ora everyone, It's great to be back. Last week's lesson was great! I´m going to tell you  about it.  Once discovery started I got myself ready,  my shoes were taken off, the music on my chromebook was ready, and my bottle was taken out of my bag.  Once every one was there we started... I was teaching them the Irish Jig. 

 Bow
First I had to teach them the bow.  We put our hands in the position they were in the week before and stepped back.  Once we stepped back we bent forward a bit and put our feet in 3rd position.  Doing all those things together we did the bow.  

Skipping
Once they learnt how to do the bow they started to learn the skipping.  That's a main part in the Jig.  It took them a while.  The first time they didn quite get it, so I had to show them.  That was fine because after they skipped the whole length of the deck. They did really well but didn't  completely do it, Iriss, a dance student lagged behind a bit the first time. She still got there, grabbed her shine card and skipped back.  Then I told my group that it doesn't matter if they get back last because sometimes it means you tried harder, and then the next time they did it.  Then I made them skip around like that in circles like in the actual dance.

Break
After the skipping is the break.  That's the easiest part of the dance. 
 You go hop-heel-hop-heel-back 2-3-4, And that's what I taught them.  They got that the first time but I gave each of them individual turns showing me.  They were quite good at that.

First step
Then we did the bow, skipping, break skipping in the opposite direction,break and then the second step.

Second step
Straight after that we did the second step.  That's when you go heel hop back 2-3-4 three times.  After that is the break, and then the same thing over again on the opposite side.

What I learnt
This week I learnt that we all have a different talent and highland dancing is mine. 
I´m not going to make people do it if they don't want to. I also learnt that I need to keep doing it to make myself better so I can teach them it.  They are also happy doing it.  Lastly I learnt how to do it better and how hard teaching them dance is.  They can get silly and not listen to me so next time I´m going to do it differently ( I don´t know how yet).

Bye!!

1 comment:

  1. Next week's dance is the Jig 3d and 4th step.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about